Cannot get sftp transfers to log in the systemd journal

Jakub Jelen jjelen at redhat.com
Tue May 10 18:52:33 AEST 2016

On 05/09/2016 06:10 PM, John wrote:
> I'd like to have sshd write entries into the systemd journal logging sftp transfers.  From googling, it seems that one needs to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config adding this line:
>
> Subsystem sftp  /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server -f AUTH -l VERBOSE
>

> I can transfer files via filezilla (sftp) but I don't get anything in `journalctl -u sshd` that shows these transfers, just a few lines showing I connected.  What am I doing wrong?  I am using version 7.2p2 on Arch Linux.  Thanks in advance!
These logs are logged under different "user" than sshd. It should be
logged under "sftp-server" process name. It certainly works on
Fedora/RHEL, unless:

  * you are in chroot -- this requires a bit different approach
  * your user is blocked from opening or writing to /dev/log or however
is syslog configured to accept logs

Note, that using above settings logs under the user logging in and not
under root so you need appropriate access.

Regards,

--
Jakub Jelen
Associate Software Engineer