Unix socket forwarding stopped working

Arne Brants arnebrants at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:27:17 AEDT 2016

Hi,

I'm using openssh to forward a remote unix socket to my local server. This has been working just fine until recently, but since a few days it is no longer working and I get error messages in the console when accessing the local socket

The command I use:

ssh -C -f -N -L/local/socket:/remote/socket user at remote-system

Error on connecting to local socket:

channel 1: open failed: unknown channel type:

Local system:

Debian Jessie

Kernel 3.16.0.4

OpenSSH_6.7p1 Debian-5+deb8u3, OpenSSL 1.0.1t  3 May 2016

Remote system:

Debian Jessie

Kernel 4.7.0-0

OpenSSH_6.7p1 Debian-5+deb8u3, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  3 May 2016

Would this be an SSH or SSL issue, or has something broken between the two packages?