SBC's and ssh's encryptions

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Nov 27 13:01:49 AEDT 2016

On Saturday 26 November 2016 19:25:41 Peter Stuge wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > the inside of the door .. two SBC's:
>
> ..
>
> > I have tried running X on the raspi, but it hasn't enough memory or
> > iron to do it well.
>
> A GHz system with GB of RAM is certainly capable of running a
> well-written GUI effortlessly.
>
> > Running htop on the odroid, its not x but sshd thats the bottleneck
> > thats causing the odroid to render at 3 or 4 frames per second
>
> Why are you running X through SSH? Run X directly over the network
> instead; that is literally what it is made for.
>
> (Set DISPLAY on pi with odroid IP. Run xauth +pi on odroid. Start X
> programs on pi.)

Hmm, learning something new like most days:
sample/example cli?
Something like

export DISPLAY 192.168.xx.9:10:0

 on the pi, and

xauth +raspi on the odroid?
; >
> But again: I guess the real problem is somewhere else entirely.

I have the X manpage up on the odroid and I am logged into the pi too.
From that manpage I should set and export DISPLAY to

  hostname:displaynumber.screennumber, so on the pi

setenv DISPLAY odroid:12.0
or
DISPLAY = odroid:12.0
export DISPLAY

this on the raspi

on the odroid64
xauth +raspi

then to conserve keyboards, log into raspi, and start my x using program

Have I got it right?

The reason for the 12 is that as I am logged into the odroid twice right
now, so screens 10 and 11 are already in use with my ssh -Y logins and I
asumme I can't re-use a display number.  Or should I re-use the display
number, and enum the screen number some how?  Obviously this is
something I've never done before. I would also assume the ssh login
would be without any -X or -Y options.

So Plz clarify.  If this gets rid of most or all of the lag, I'll be in
hog heaven.

Thanks Peter.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)