proxy command in user's config

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Sep 14 03:38:08 AEST 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, M.G. wrote:

> hello,
> OpenSSH_7.1p2, OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
>
> in my ~/.ssh/config I have configured two Hosts:
> Host gatehost
>      ProxyCommand ssh -2 -i ~/.ssh/gkey -q -x user at jumphost -W %h:22
>
> Host myhmc
>      Hostname gatehost
>      LocalForward 11443 the-hmc:443
>      GatewayPorts yes
>
> The first one works perfect (configured password less)
> but when I want to user this Host in next Host myhmc config to establish tunnel through it, I get error:
> $ ssh bruhmc
> _ssh: Could not resolve hostname myhmc: Name or service not known
> Why? As far as I remember it stopped working from some newer release
> of openssh. Could this functionality be "blocked" intentionally?

We can't say - you haven't included enough information. Mostly
a log of a failing connection. Also what's bruhmc? It isn't mentioned
in your config.

What I guess is happening is that myhmc is being resolved on jumphost
for some reason. It's possible that something has changed in the
ordering of DNS resolution and how ProxyCommand arguments are
constructed, but I can't tell.

-d