Greeter openssh 7.4 is not according rfc4253.

Michael Stone mstone at mathom.us
Mon Feb 6 09:12:30 AEDT 2017

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 01:06:07PM +0100, Stef Bon wrote:
>I discovered when using my fuse fs for connecting to a remote host
>using sftp that the new
>server version 7.4 sends a greeter which is not according the format desribed in
>
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4253#section-4
>
>There is written that the greeter "MUST be terminated by a single
>Carriage Return (CR) and a single Line Feed (LF) character (ASCII 13
>and 10, respectively)."
>
>Now the greeter send by openssh 7.4 looks like:
>
>00000000  53 53 48 2d 32 2e 30 2d  4f 70 65 6e 53 53 48 5f  |SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_|
>00000010  37 2e 34 0a
>           |7.4.|
>00000014
>
>As you can see the greeter is terminated by "0a", which is a linefeed.
>The carriage return is not there.

It was probably because of this commit:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/ssh/sshd.c.diff?r1=1.472&r2=1.473

Which removed support for protocols older than 2 but perhaps failed to
account for the fact that newline had been redefined when using protocol 2.
But as someone else said, give it a few days for a response.

Mike Stone