Disabling specific commands in sftp

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 05:12:57 AEDT 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Alexandre MALDEME <A.MALDEME at olky.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On CentOS 7 I’m trying to set up a chrooted SFTP server on which specific users can only read and write on specific folder. And I’d like to disable some commands, so the users can only do ‘cd’, ‘ls’, ‘get’ and ‘put’ (and disabling ‘chgrp’, ‘chmod’, ‘chown’, ‘df’ etc …). Is there a way to achieve it, natively or with using a third-party software ?

There were some published OpenSSH chroot patches years ago, but
they've been repeatedly rejected for various security reasons. The
underlying reasoning seems to be that a chroot cage is not a
completely reliable security measure, since enough of the operating
system is necessarily exposed inside the chroot cage to create a risk
of possible exploitation and access to the hosting system. I've
personally disagreed with this approach for a long time, because the
lack of such tools leaves many casual adminstrators simply exposing
their systems with full shell access and much less limited otols..

There is an old add-on tool called "rssh" that pretty effectively
limits access to rsync, sftp, or scp on a selectable and configurable
basis for specific users. It does badly need an update to its chroot
cage building tool, which I've submitted as a patch and the maintainer
of rssh has elected not to manage or maintain that tool. Rssh is
available at http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/.. My chroot cage building
tools to go with it are at
https://github.com/nkadel/rssh-chroot-tools.

Another fast and dirty tool is to use the "validate-rsync.sh" tool
locked to SSH key "command" settings, to fairly effectively allow only
rsync access.

Another approach is to give up on sftp, which does have some
longstanding limitations, and use more cage-manageable tools like
WebDAV over HTTPS, which is more easily published as a pure user-space
without any other chroot cage components in it and is Apache
supported, or even plain old FTPS, which also works well and is built
into vsftpd.