What's the point of using xauth when using X11 forwarding?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 14 09:53:43 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Xu Pu Ti <rslovers at yandex.com> wrote:
> I still don't understand the point of authenticating myself to my own local
> X server when using X11 forwarding,

X11Forwarding uses TCP, and xauth is what stops anyone else on the
server (or any machine, if X11UseLocalhost=no) from snooping on your
display and keyboard, injecting keystrokes and any of the the other
things you can do with an X server.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)