Relaiable ssh tunnel via systemd

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Wed Mar 15 20:13:32 AEDT 2017

Am 14.03.2017 um 21:43 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Thomas Güttler
> <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>>

>> Am 14.03.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
>>> Look into the "autossh" program, which is very good to manage and
>>> maintain such tunnels.
>>>

>> Hi Nico and other ssh users,
>>
>> Systemd restarts the ssh if it terminates. AFAIK this is all that is needed.
>>
>> But maybe I am missing something. Is there a feature of autossh that I don't
>> get with systemd?
>
> Better logging, especially error reporting,

I am happy with the messages which gets passed from the ssh process to systemd.
Could you please provide an example, since I fail to see what autossh does better.

> and much more modular
> configuration for multiple parallel autossh daemons without having to
> hand edit and customize systemd init scripts.

We use configuration management to create and update systemd unit configuration files.
I don't see how autossh can help here. Do you have an example?

> I've had some success
> with using chef to manage it, along with deploying SSH configurations
> to avoid the "known_hosts" mismatched hostkey issues as target hosts
> change IP address, and to get management of the relevant public and
> private SSH keys for the port forwarding.

I can't follow. My brain is still focused on the question: Why autossh?

Regards,
   Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/