Relaiable ssh tunnel via systemd

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 07:43:58 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Thomas Güttler
<guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:

> Am 14.03.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
>> Look into the "autossh" program, which is very good to manage and
>> maintain such tunnels.
>>

> Hi Nico and other ssh users,
>
> Systemd restarts the ssh if it terminates. AFAIK this is all that is needed.
>
> But maybe I am missing something. Is there a feature of autossh that I don't
> get with systemd?

Better logging, especially error reporting, and much more modular
configuration for multiple parallel autossh daemons without having to
hand edit and customize systemd init scripts. I've had some success
with using chef to manage it, along with deploying SSH configurations
to avoid the "known_hosts" mismatched hostkey issues as target hosts
change IP address, and to get management of the relevant public and
private SSH keys for the port forwarding.