Golang CertChecker hostname validation differs to OpenSSH

Peter Moody mindrot at hda3.com
Mon May 15 11:43:41 AEST 2017

specifically, this is what openssh says when connecting to a a host
with a otherwise valid hostcert on a non standard port

  debug1: Host 'foo.bar.com' is known and matches the ED25519-CERT
host certificate.
  debug1: Found CA key in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts:1
  debug1: found matching key w/out port

and this is when the port is correctly included in the known hosts

  debug1: Host '[foo.bar.com]:1234' is known and matches the
ED25519-CERT host certificate.
  debug1: Found CA key in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts:1

it definitely feels to me like the first behavior is incorrect.