Partial install question

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:49:17 AEDT 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 4:39 PM John Adams <jxadams at ualr.edu> wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
>      I've got an older server which can't be upgraded to a current OS for
> $REASONS on which I need to update some or all of the openssh programs and
> utilities, specifically sftp.
>
>      My thought is to either install it in /usr/local (or
> /usr/local/openssh) and have folks alter their paths, or build it there and
> use symlinks (probably the better choice) into /usr/bin.

If you don't want to break your existing OpenSSH, put it in
/usr/local/openssh-version/. Don't put the binaries in /usr/local/bin/
or the libraries in /usr/local/lib/, you'll wind up with conflicts
with the default version.

What is the OS you're working with? Some operating systems have
alternative, packaged versions of OpenSSH available.