Partial install question

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Wed Dec 5 10:14:47 AEDT 2018

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 08:40, John Adams <jxadams at ualr.edu> wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
>      I've got an older server which can't be upgraded to a current OS for
> $REASONS on which I need to update some or all of the openssh programs and
> utilities, specifically sftp.
>
>      My thought is to either install it in /usr/local (or
> /usr/local/openssh) and have folks alter their paths, or build it there and
> use symlinks (probably the better choice) into /usr/bin.

That should work; configurre's paths default to /usr/local and it should
happily co-exist with older binaries in the system paths.

>      I'm tempted, though, to just move /usr/bin/sftp and install that and
> only that, if possible. Is it?

Maybe, it depends on how old the system ssh is.  sftp invokes ssh to make
the connection and it is somewhat dependent on what arguments ssh(1)
supports.  sftp has the path to ssh hardcoded into it (_PATH_SSH_PROGRAM,
which is set by configure) so you'd have to point that to your existing ssh
binary, but if you do that and it can make a connection then it'll probably
work fine.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)