Call for testing: OpenSSH 7.7

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Mar 28 10:54:22 AEDT 2018

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, Jakub Jelen wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 14:42 +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > OpenSSH 7.7p1 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate
> > testing
> > on as many platforms and systems as possible. This is a bugfix
> > release.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Running the regression tests supplied with Portable OpenSSH does not
> > require installation and is a simply:
> >
> > $ ./configure && make tests
>
> The localcommand test failed for me (for other reasons) and after some
> more investigation, I found that the following commit introduced an pw
> argument to the load_public_identity_files() function, but is
> overwriting our local copy from main:
>
> https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/commit/b7548b1
>
> The following diff makes it using our copied pw variable instead of
> overwriting it:

That should be removed, but I'm trying to understand how it could
lead to problems. pw get overwritten locally, but AFAIK nothing
from pw gets used after load_public_identity_files() exits.

What problems were you seeing from this? It looks harmless to me
and so I'd prefer to wait until after release to fix it.

-d