Conflicting TERM env var with SetEnv feature.

Nicholas Marriott nicholas.marriott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:05:49 AEDT 2018

Hi

terminfo and termcap database dissemination times are notoriously slow
so it is common for TERM to be set locally to something that doesn't
exist or doesn't work properly on a remote host.

For many years this was the case with OpenBSD which had ncurses 5.1 and
so an old xterm entry with no colour capabilities; xterm-new was needed
instead. Old versions of Solaris can be as bad if not worse, not to
mention embedded boxes which may have little more than dumb and vt220.

I think it would be much more convenient for users with multiple older
machines to put some Match sections in .ssh/config rather than modifying
their shell profiles on every host individually or faffing around with
scripts to wrap ssh.