Conflicting TERM env var with SetEnv feature.

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 23 18:15:30 AEDT 2018

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:33:56AM +1030, David Newall wrote:
> On 22/11/18 10:09 pm, Philipp Marek wrote:
> > if it happens that your local terminal emulation is not available
> > on the remote machine(s), what would be the right place to fix it?
>
> Is it a trick question?  Isn't the remote machine the only place that
> you can fix ?  Setting TERM on the local machine won't magically make a
> Wyse 60 understand VT220 control codes.

Stuff like TERM=screen can be substituted reasonably well with TERM=xterm,
for example.  (I regularily run into this when ssh'ing to AIX boxes, which
do not know about "screen" - and since these are not mine, fixing all their
termcap/terminfo DBs is not trivially done).

So far I've never bothered to look into ssh automatically changing this
for me when I ssh to "these boxes", but I'm following the discussion with
interest :-)

gert