Multiple clients connect to single server

Alexander Wuerstlein arw at cs.fau.de
Sun Jan 6 07:30:35 AEDT 2019

On 2019-01-05T20:03, Danishka Navin <danishka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I have a requirement of backing up 3 files (each is aound 50M) to a central
> server.
> There are 750-800 client systems in diffrennt locations (not in same
> network) and suppose to backup over internet.
>
> I am planning to use rsync over ssh.
>
> I need to know how much what resources and what configuration required to
> make this all clients backup the content as soon as possible.
> I can provide at least 4 servers instead of single central server where we
> can split number of connections per server.

Around here, SSH manages at least around 50MB/s per core on 5 year old Intel
Core i5 hardware. So you should be able to do 1 complete run of all 3
files of all 800 clients on one core of one machine each hour. Of course
storage and especially the network would have to keep up.

Ciao,

Alexander Wuerstlein.