sftp Vs scp

Ben Lindstrom mouring at offwriting.org
Fri Jan 25 08:38:23 AEDT 2019

Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote on 1/24/19 3:23 PM:
> On Thu, 2019-01-24 at 12:27 -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>> I know it isn't a "UI replacement" but it at least provides a more
>> complete UI for phasing people off of scp.
> I don't think this is an ideal solution...
>
> OpenSSH should be "overall" secure (that's what it's meant for), and
> especially not be a collection of tools/algos/etc. of which some(!) are
> safe to user and others not (with the user having to know which).

Not sure what your arguing against as your comments below this pretty
much re-enforce what I'm stating. Which is:

Scp should die, and we should add "sftp -U [file/path] host" feature as
our recommended replacement.

As no amount of work will fix scp completely.  And every other solution
makes it worse and more complex.

Ben