sftp Vs scp

David Lang david at lang.hm
Fri Jan 25 08:47:39 AEDT 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

> Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote on 1/24/19 3:23 PM:
>> On Thu, 2019-01-24 at 12:27 -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>>> I know it isn't a "UI replacement" but it at least provides a more
>>> complete UI for phasing people off of scp.
>> I don't think this is an ideal solution...
>>
>> OpenSSH should be "overall" secure (that's what it's meant for), and
>> especially not be a collection of tools/algos/etc. of which some(!) are
>> safe to user and others not (with the user having to know which).
>
> Not sure what your arguing against as your comments below this pretty
> much re-enforce what I'm stating. Which is:
>
> Scp should die, and we should add "sftp -U [file/path] host" feature as
> our recommended replacement.

breaking all the tools that use scp is a very bad idea, if sftp -U can be
functionally the same as scp (from the users point of view) then scp can be made
to continue to work, doing a sftp -U under the covers

otherwise you will end up with people adding back in a broken scp to make their
tools work.

David Lang