sftp Vs scp

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Fri Jan 25 08:47:56 AEDT 2019

On Thu, 2019-01-24 at 15:38 -0600, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> Scp should die, and we should add "sftp -U [file/path] host" feature
> as
> our recommended replacement.

It wasn't clear to me from your mail, that if scp cannot be made secure
(by whichever means) it would really have to go, so that it's not
accidentally used.

At the same time, I think one cannot afford to let scp go and just
replace it by new sftp command line UI.

So my main points were:
- make it some how safe (and only if this cannot be done at all, make
  a hard break)
- if it's necessary to keep something speaking "legacy" SCP protocol,
  make 100% sure it's not accidentally used

Cheers :-)