About rsync over SSH and compression

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 02:46:25 AEST 2019

Thanks; I did not think of that. I have just run a few basic tests with
both rsync and OpenSSH in their default settings, when it comes to
compression. SSH compression seems to have a very slight edge. However, I
surmise that, given the number of knobs available on both sides (OpenSSH,
in particular) one can tinker with settings almost endlessly in either
side, probably being able to end up with specific situations where one or
the other would be advantageous. At first sight, however, the overall
difference seems to be small.