ssh_config: Hostname with multiple IP addresses

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.com
Fri Dec 11 21:23:18 AEDT 2020

On 12/11/20 10:28 AM, Brian Candler wrote:
> On 11/12/2020 08:42, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>> ssh_config(5) explicitly allows numeric IP addresses (plural) on the
>> Hostname config line in .ssh/config,
>
> Can you point to where it says that explicitly? I see in ssh_config(5):
>
>       HostName
>               Specifies the real host name to log into.

It says
      Hostname
              Specifies the real host name to log into.  This can be used to
              specify nicknames or abbreviations for hosts.  *Arguments to
              Hostname* accept the tokens described in the TOKENS section.  Nu-
              meric *IP addresses* are also permitted (both on the command line
              and in Hostname specifications).  The default is the name given
              on the command line.

Of course I understand that this is ambiguous. I don't expect any miracles
here.

Having both IPv4 and IPv6 address defined for a specific Host would be
reasonable, though.

Regards
Harri