ssh_config: Hostname with multiple IP addresses

asymptosis asymptosis at posteo.net
Sat Dec 12 13:50:37 AEDT 2020

>Having both IPv4 and IPv6 address defined for a specific Host would be

How would your client know which one to go to?

Say I had:

Host foo
Hostname 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.3

Do I end up at 192.168.2.2 randomly half the time, and 192.168.2.3 the rest of the time?

Even if we accept that the wording is ambiguous, it is easily disambiguated by thinking about the logic involved.

Whereas, if we accept the logic that Hostname can take multiple arguments, then you might as well have:

Host foo
Hostname *

And thereby try to log into all servers in the world simultaneously O_o