Auth via Multiple Publickeys, Using Multiple Sources, One Key per Source

mailto428496 mailto628496 at cox.net
Thu Jun 4 05:34:53 AEST 2020

Peter,

I see your point, but it is not ideal for systems that we don't
control.  The user would have to hunt down the hostkey for that host to
provide it to us, which might be in /etc/ssh or it might be elsewhere
and it may or may not be accessible to the user. Also, the system admins
could change the hostkeys which would then require the user to grab a
new hostkey.  Although potentially doable, it adds a lot of complication
to the process.  We would prefer to have the client pubkey tied to the
user's account rather than the client hostkey, and in many cases the
remote system may be comprised of many different hosts that all share
the same home directory - we would not want to have to deal with the
potential for lots of different hostkeys where a single user account is
used across a system enclave.  The hostbased auth would be a good
solution when the user connects from a system we manage, where we can
help them set it up and know when keys change, but much more problematic
for shared systems controlled by other organizations.

Thanks,

Jim