Call for testing: OpenSSH 8.4

Kevin Brott kevin.brott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 17:09:32 AEST 2020

On 9/20/20 9:58 AM, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 09:34:50AM -0700, Kevin Brott wrote:
>> On 9/19/20 11:02 PM, Damien Miller wrote:
>>> OpenSSH 8.4p1 is almost ready for release, so we would appreciate testing
>>> on as many platforms and systems as possible. This is a bugfix release.
>> Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
>> gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6)
>> OpenSSL 1.1.1d  10 Sep 2019
>>
>> Hang on conch ciphers test - had to ^C the process:
> This might be https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9515, which was
> fixed in Twisted 19.2.0; Debian 10 has an older version.  I forget what
> the original symptoms of that bug were, but it seems plausible.  Try
> applying this workaround patch?
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/ssh-team/openssh/-/blob/debian/1%258.3p1-1/debian/patches/conch-old-privkey-format.patch
>
> (I haven't advocated for this to be applied to OpenSSH upstream, since
> the proper fix was in Twisted.)

Yup, older twisted:  python-twisted  18.9.0-3.  Applying the workaround patch to openssh-SNAP-20200921.tar.gz and "all tests passed".
So what's the best-practice fix here - replace the system install of twisted, install an alternate copy for builds, or patch the configure process to test for the broken twisted version(s) and adjust accordingly?

--
# include <stddisclaimer.h>
/* Kevin Brott <Kevin.Brott at GMail.com> */