Call for testing: OpenSSH 8.4

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Mon Sep 21 21:46:13 AEST 2020

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:09:32AM -0700, Kevin Brott wrote:
> Yup, older twisted:  python-twisted  18.9.0-3.  Applying the
> workaround patch to openssh-SNAP-20200921.tar.gz and "all tests
> passed".
> So what's the best-practice fix here - replace the system install of
> twisted, install an alternate copy for builds, or patch the configure
> process to test for the broken twisted version(s) and adjust
> accordingly?

My approach for interop testing of the official Debian packaging has
been to apply the patch I mentioned until such time as the Debian
packaging of Twisted catches up.

I don't know if it's worth having extra elaborate stuff in OpenSSH to
detect the situation without requiring a patch.  I kind of feel that the
test failure you encountered was detecting a legitimate interoperability
problem so avoiding it permanently wouldn't really be right.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson at debian.org]