SCP with Resume Feature

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Sun Apr 4 01:19:47 AEDT 2021

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021, Bob Proulx wrote:

> > I keep it... it's useful to push to machines before they have rsync
> > (e.g. to push updated sources.list, keys, etc).
>
> Rename it (on Debian dpkg-divert it) to scp.real?  That would be fine.

That would be an option.

> > > a script wrapper that called rsync. "There! I deliverd an scp that
> > > handles resume. Problem solved."
>
> > I've named mine rcp though.
>
> And the circle is now complete.

That was the intention ;-)

> Though I guess there is no danger of
> it name colliding with the original real rcp anymore.

On some systems, rcp calls scp by default which can be irritating
when I don’t know whether I had placed mine there yet or not…
I learnt this later.

> The original problem was it needed to be called for it to be "scp" in
> order to meet the job spec.

Considering rsync’s vastly differing semantics especially regarding
trailing slashes for directories in source, destination and both,
I deliberately did not name it scp-alike. (I lost my eMail archives
once due to missing a slash, with rcp --delete. No big loss ofc, had
backups of anything really important.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/