SCP with Resume Feature

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Apr 3 15:55:36 AEDT 2021

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I would be inclined to act as a BOFH and replace scp with
>
> I keep it... it's useful to push to machines before they have rsync
> (e.g. to push updated sources.list, keys, etc).

Rename it (on Debian dpkg-divert it) to scp.real?  That would be fine.

> > a script wrapper that called rsync. "There! I deliverd an scp that
> > handles resume. Problem solved."

> I've named mine rcp though.

And the circle is now complete.  Though I guess there is no danger of
it name colliding with the original real rcp anymore.

The original problem was it needed to be called for it to be "scp" in
order to meet the job spec.  I would push back against that.

> https://evolvis.org/plugins/scmgit/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=shellsnippets/shellsnippets.git;a=blob;f=mksh/rcp;hb=HEAD
>
> It does quite some things (e.g. -a --numeric-ids) by default
> but parses options, to some degree, to disable them again if
> needed. (Oh, I see I need to add the recent additions to usage...)

Yes.  Something like that. :-)

Bob