Call for testing: OpenSSH 8.7

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Tue Aug 17 08:18:14 AEST 2021

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 04:46, Tom G. Christensen <tgc at jupiterrise.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> These unit tests include <stdint.h> unconditionally:

This is a problem for Solaris 2.6 so I guarded the include with #ifdef
> HAVE_STDINT_H.

Fixed.

> On Solaris 2.6 and 7 the testsuite stops with:
> regress/unittests/authopt/tests.c:93 test #51 "sshauthopt_from_cert
> source-address"

ignoring this one for now.

On the SPARC systems which are a lot slower than the x86 test systems I
> am seeing a problem with hangs in the testsuite, most often in the rekey
> tests.

If you are not already, make sure you are compiling OpenSSH and especially
OpenSSL with SPARC v8 instructions (for gcc, that's -mv8).  At least some
versions of gcc default to v7 which has no hardware multiply which slows
down some crypto, Diffie-Hellman in particular.  Not sure about other
compilers.

> Looking at sshd.log it seems it closed the connection but from what I
> can gather from ssh.log the client still thinks it is connected and is
> just waiting.
> Looking at ps output I see two sshd processes running, one a child of
> the other, and then a <defunct> child of the still running child.
> With truss I see that the client is still doing poll().
>
> I tried reverting 4bdf7a04797a0ea1c431a9d54588417c29177d19 and it seems
> to fix it. I've now run through the rekey test twice and the full
> testsuite once with no hangs where before it would always hang at some
> point.

this one is a concern, and while I have some SPARC hardware I can't
currently access it to repro.  Does it have pselect()?  If so, try removing
HAVE_PSELECT from config.h and recompiling (this will use the compat code
instead, which should be equivalent to what was there previously.  If it
doesn't have pselect then the problem likely relates to the compat code
itself.

Thanks.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)