Reminder: Add ssh_config equivalents of -N, -n and -f

Volker Diels-Grabsch v at njh.eu
Tue Jun 8 20:36:24 AEST 2021

Dear Damien,

Thanks for your response!

Damien Miller wrote:
> I'm not sure about the naming of NoShell, because it's really about not
> starting any kind of remote session.

I didn't really care about how to name this.  All I did was noting
that the flag is stored in a C variable "no_shell", which I just
translated to camel case.

So I assume that we should rename that C variable as well?

> So the options are to rename the option to something like NoSession,
> find a way to reuse the existing RemoteCommand option (though that is
> IMO a little ugly) or perhaps introduce a new "SessionType" option
> that can subsume functionality of both the -N (SessionType=none) and
> -s (SessionType=subsystem) flags.
>
> What do you think?

I also don't think that reusing RemoteCommand is a good idea.  This
would add unnecessary entaglement of mostly-unrelated options, and as
such increase the risk of accidentally introducing bugs.

I'd prefer to rename NoShell to NoSession, and perhaps to do the same
for the internal variable names for consistency.  Then, we would have
a one-to-one match of command line and configuration file, which is
IMHO the least surprise for users already familiar with "-N" and "-s".

However, I'm not opposed to introduce "SessionType=none/subsystem", in
case you like me to implement it that way.

How should we proceed from here?  Which variant should I implement?

Best regards,
Volker

--
Volker Diels-Grabsch