SCP in SFTP mode

James Ralston ralston at pobox.com
Mon Feb 7 08:15:16 AEDT 2022

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 11:06 AM Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> I find it rude and quite outrageous to push a burden of
> compatibility with a paid-for commercial product onto an open source
> project.

The OP is asking for official OpenSSH portable 8.8 (circa 2021-09-26)
sftp clients to behave better when talking to official OpenSSH 8.0
(circa 2019-04-17) portable sftp servers.  Red Hat has nothing to do
with the request, except for the fact that a RHEL8 system is where the
OP is encountering the OpenSSH 8.0 sftp server.

This request is neither rude nor outrageous.  The OP asked politely,
and attempted to do most of the work.

> It's asking for the wrong solution in the wrong place.

It is not.  Not everyone has the ability to upgrade every host to the
latest version of OpenSSH client/server.  Both backwards and forwards
compatibility are desirable things.

> Now, if you can make a case explicitly for how OpenSSH git can
> improve compatibility with older releases of upstream OpenSSH then
> that could be a different story, and if you do so smartly it might
> also benefit your commercial systems.

That is, quite literally, *exactly* the case the OP made.