Call for testing: OpenSSH 8.9

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Fri Feb 11 09:21:00 AEDT 2022

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 07:07, Val Baranov <val.baranov at duke.edu> wrote:
[...]
> This error is remediated by replacing LIBS="-lcrypto $LIBS" with  LIBS="-lcrypto -lpthread $LIBS" in configure script.
> This can be also fixed by appending "--with-libs=-lpthread" to 'configure' command above.
> The error itself is misleading as it refers to "libcrypto" while it actually related to "libpthread".
>
> Would be feasible to fix this in "configure" script in order to do not hit this each time configuring a new version (which does not happen often).

OK so the reason sounds like your libcrypto is built with pthreads.
As it stands, configure does not know that, all it knows is that its
test program would not link against libcrypto.  We definitely don't
want to link in pthreads if it's not needed (we don't really want it
even if it is needed, but that's another story).

It looks like all of the versions of OpenSSL and LibreSSL we support
these days have pkg-config .pc files so we could potentially look it
up there.  Does your system ship with pkg-config?  The ancient AIX
system I have here does not.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)