Host names hashing

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Thu Jan 6 02:34:52 AEDT 2022

On 05.01.22 15:06, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL wrote:
> What are the cryptographic consequences of host name hah collision?

None, I would guess. Someone crafting a server name/IP that causes a
hash collision with an existing hashed known_hosts entry is likely to be
a nuisance to or a source of confusion of the user (ssh will complain
about the existing entry for a different host keypair), not, per se, a
failure of security.

The hashing is meant to obscure info about what host it matches, so the
relevant failure mode is if the hash algo would become *reversible*.

One question about the real-world use cases, however: How many people
are there hashing known_hosts entries *autogenerated by client use out
of the very same account*? If I were to find that someone got ahold of
the known_hosts file off my workplace machine, I'd be worried about
disclosure of my *user keypairs*, while the info about the servers I
access would probably be a lost cause, anyway (that info is available in
cleartext in the config file(s), and/or the saved shell history).

A much more understandable use case would be if an organization
distributes a centrally administered/collected known_hosts file to users
but doesn't want marginally-trusted users to immediately see where to
find the company LAN's crown jewels. However, in order to make a
successful algo migration in *that* scenario, we'd have to address the
possibility that users and the central repository could end up
supporting *different* sets of algos for some length of time ...

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur