TCP Stack Metrics in OpenSSH

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Fri Jan 7 08:23:28 AEDT 2022

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 at 06:33, rapier <rapier at psc.edu> wrote:

> As neither license is viral it seems to me that they can play with each
> other reasonably well. I know that the Apache license can exist with the
> 2 and 3 clause BSD without a problem. I don't know if that's reciprocal
> though. Can I ask what your concern is?

Patent clauses.  From https://www.openbsd.org/policy.html:

"""
The original Apache license was similar to the Berkeley license, but source
code published under version 2 of the Apache license is subject to
additional restrictions and cannot be included into OpenBSD. In particular,
if you use code under the Apache 2 license, some of your rights will
terminate if you claim in court that the code violates a patent.

A license can only be considered fully permissive if it allows use by
anyone for all the future without giving up any of their rights. If there
are conditions that might terminate any rights in the future, or if you
have to give up a right that you would otherwise have, even if exercising
that right could reasonably be regarded as morally objectionable, the code
is not free.

In addition, the clause about the patent license is problematic because a
patent license cannot be granted under Copyright law, but only under
contract law, which drags the whole license into the domain of contract
law. But while Copyright law is somewhat standardized by international
agreements, contract law differs wildly among jurisdictions. So what the
license means in different jurisdictions may vary and is hard to predict.
"""

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)