Issues with a couple of keys

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Tue Mar 15 08:24:22 AEDT 2022

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Also I was surprised that upstream XTerm also uses ^H instead of DEL
> and had been protected from this by Debian patching it.

OpenBSD used to switch between these every two releases… but AIUI
backspace = ^? and delete = ^[[3~ pretty much is standard now, over
backspace = ^H and delete = ^? (except ^H is usually accepted for
backspace, too, although at a different layer which totally is useful,
and lynx still handles delete as backspace).

>     $ od -tx1
>     ^?    <-- Press the Backspace key, followed by Enter

You probably need to press ^V before the backspace key
(but then can do this without stty’ing first).

>     ^d  <-- type in Control-D here to end input
>     0000000 7f 0a

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/