Non-shell accounts and scp/sftp

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Fri Dec 8 19:58:25 AEDT 2023

On 07.12.23 21:36, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Problem is that if their default shell isn't sh, ash, dash, bash, zsh,
> etc. then things break.  Is there a workaround to allow scp/sftp to
> continue to work even for non-shell accounts?

That sounds like the traditional "login is denied if the login shell is
not listed in /etc/shells" mechanism is in effect, maybe because your
sshd falls back to PAM?

I take it that the users have something like /usr/local/sbin/OurMagicCLI
set as their login shell? What happens when you add that to the list in
/etc/shells ?

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern