[flashboot] New backup and network configuration tools

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Jun 20 14:42:46 EST 2007

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Niclas Rosell wrote:

> Hi
> A few hours ago Jakob committed a some diffs from me.
> It includes a new backup tool (backupconfig) and a network
> configuration tool (createconfig).
> Here is the short description of what it does.
>
> Createconfig is checking for existing backups and presents a (very
> short) list of devices containing backups. It should detect if a usb
> memory is inserted and contains a /conf/etc folder.
> It then presents 4 options which should be self-explainatory.
>
> 0. Use existing config
> 1. Manual setup
> 2. DHCP
> 3. Do not run createconfig
>

> Backupconfig uses /etc/backup.conf and mtree to decide what files to
> backup. backup.conf is for directories to look for changes and mtree
> for files different then the version in bsd.gz. The backup is then
> copied to /flash/conf/.
> A mtree of the initial filesystem is stored in /root/flashboot.mtree.
> Flashboot.mtree is created at the end of list.

Thanks, I'm sure a lot of people will find these useful.

Are there any caveats for people who are running flashboot systems
who upgrade the a new image that incorporates these changes? It
seems that their systems may not come back properly from a reboot if
the "config" variable is not set in rc.conf.

-d