[flashboot] New backup and network configuration tools

Niclas Rosell Niclas.Rosell at iis.se
Wed Jun 20 18:22:03 EST 2007

Hello

The changes i have made does not change the bootup behavior unless
config=YES is in rc.conf.
The "restoration" process (in rc.initial) of backup files on the
flash card is left untouched. When running a system with config=YES
(or by running createconfig manually) you are asked if you want to
make a backup of your changes. If the answer is yes then the changed
files will be copied to /flash/conf/ and will be restored by rc at
next reboot.
Any changes made at any time can be backed up by running the command
backupconfig. By default it only looks in /etc but you can change
this by editing /etc/backup.conf. Take a look in /flash/conf/ after
running backupconfig to verify.
Good to know is that if a USB memory stick is plugged in then that
will be used as /flash instead of the flash disk.

At first I did not use config=NO/YES but instead i checked if there
was a backup on flash and used that instead of going into
createconfig (no questions asked), but that was before I was thinking
of backing up to a USB memory.

I was thinking of renaming createconfig/backupconfig to
flashboot-autoconf/flashboot-backup. (thanks to Jakob for helping out
with the names)

Niclas