[flashboot] Building 4.8

James Records james.records at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 03:08:02 EST 2010

Hey all,

I eventually got this working, here's a short synapses of what I had to do
to get this to work:

You'll need to download src.tgz and sys.tgz as well as base48.tgz etc48.tgz,
comp48.tgz, man48.tgz, misc48.tgz into a directory then do the following:

I do this from within the flashboot directory, but it could be done wherever
you see fit.

WORKDIR=sandbox
mkdir -p ${WORKDIR}
for i in base etc comp man misc; do tar zxpf ${i}48.tgz -C ${WORKDIR}; echo
"extracting ${i}.48.tgz to ${WORKDIR}";  done
tar zxpf src.tar.gz -C ${WORKDIR}/usr/src
tar zxpf sys.tar.gz -C ${WORKDIR}/usr/src
rm -rf ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev-orig
mv ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev-orig
mkdir ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev
mount_mfs -o nosuid -s 32768 /dev/sd0b ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev
cp -p ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev-orig/MAKEDEV ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev/MAKEDEV
cd ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/dev
./MAKEDEV all
cp -p ${CWD}/mk-mini.conf ${CWD}/${WORKDIR}/mk-mini.conf

# Dump yourself into a chroot.
/usr/sbin/chroot ${CWD}/${WORKDIR} /bin/ksh

at this point I just export the MAKECONF=/mk-mini.conf  and follow the steps
from man release.

When complete I exit out of the chroot environment, and change the
build-bindinst.sh to point to this sandbox dir instead of flash-dist.

There are a bunch of patches out there, but I saw a note from Theo saying he
didn't really like the idea and as disk space is cheap now, this process
takes about 2GB of total space to get to work, but at least for me its not
an issue.  I'm going to attempt to automate this so that I can pull down
current from within the chroot and just change the DESTDIR from the
build-bininst.sh to point to different chroots so I can have different
versions.  If I get this automated well enough I'll post it back here.