[netflow-tools] failed exports

Andrew McGill list2009 at lunch.za.net
Fri Sep 11 02:26:31 EST 2009

Hi Kevin,

It looks like you can get failures exporting flows when send() returns an
error.  The errno value is not captured, so you'll have to figure it out.

You didn't say where the flows are going, but most likely, the netflow
receiver that you are sending to is not able to collect all of the data at the
rate it receives it, and the kernel is friendly enough to let you know about
some icmp that floated back towards the sender.

You can also get errors if you are getting interrupted system calls --
softflowd does not retry send() if it is interrupted.  Maybe VMware is doing
something like this to you?

You can probably diagnose what the actual error is with strace -esend `pidof
softflowd` -- or maybe -esendto (I haven't tried this myself).  If you see
EINTR, it should be easy to fix the code.

&:-)