[netflow-tools] Softflowd and VLAN tagged packets

Andrew McGill list2009 at lunch.za.net
Mon Feb 18 04:30:52 EST 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:29:07 -0600
Craig Weinhold <craig.weinhold at cdw.com> wrote:

> I can't speak for softflowd, but I do know that the NIC and/or kernel
> may be able to strip/preserve VLAN tags on promiscuous ports. See:
>
>    http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-005897.htm
>
> As an aside, keep in mind that a packet routed from VLAN X to VLAN Y
> might show up twice on your mirror port if both VLANs are being
> mirrored.
If you need to handle this condition, I have hacked a private version that eliminates the duplicates (mail me).  The price of this is maintaining a history of recent packets, so it's not appropriate for most situations.  It's not particularly elegant, especially since the history is in a fixed (at compile time) buffer.

> -Craig
>

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Jan Markus wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > we have a mirror port on our core switch and need to create Neflow
> > v9 from packet flows. But softflowd seems to read only packets with
> > no VLAN tag. Is there a way to change this behaviour? All packets
> > comming from our mirror port have VLAN tag. If the change of code
> > would be needed, we'd ready to pay for it. We really need this
> > function.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> > -Jan

Our parents ate 3G of bitter GPRS, and our bluetooth is set on EDGE