default-path

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Sat Mar 18 02:07:27 EST 2000

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 07:01:16PM -0500, Ben Taylor wrote:

> _PATH_STDPATH is defined in some unices and not others.  In
> the case of Solaris, we just override it.

So what is default-path on Solaris if it is not specified for
configure?

> It's really up to you.  You want to make sure you have /usr/bin
> and whereever ssh/scp clients are as a minimum.  The rest is
> just gravy and makes like easier for doing remote maintainance.
> In Solaris, you might want to add /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin,
> and maybe /usr/openwin/bin (for xauth).  YMMV and there are
> a bunch of other recommendations other people will suggest.
> Pretty much all are valid as long as /usr/bin and /space/local/bin
> is in your default path.

So default-path is the PATH ssh would use to execute commands.  So
probably it is not bad to set default-path to $PATH afterall.

But I would think, it is best if the user executing ssh would have the
option to set the path (both on the command line and in the config
file).  I have not seen an option like that in the man page for ssh.
Would an option like that be insecure?

Reading the the sshd man page, I see

6.   Reads $HOME/.ssh/environment if it exists.

Does this mean that I can/should set PATH for scp sessions on the
*remote* system?

So how does scp work?  Does it call ssh at one point?  At what point
of the copying process does the default-path gets used?

Thx

Mate