Password and RH 6.1

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 18:30:32 EST 2000

> [root at chime src]# rpm -ivh openssh-1.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         openssl   is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
>         openssl is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1
>         libcrypto.so.0 is needed by openssh-1.2.3-1

My best guess....
You compiled/installed openssl using the defaults, it installed the
libraries into /usr/local/lib, your /etc/ld.so.conf does not list
/usr/local/lib as a directory with dynamic libraries in it.

Fix:
  1. Add /usr/local/lib to the dynamic library search list
     RTFM ldconfig for details

  2. Alternatively rebuild openssl setting --prefix=/usr on the
     configure line (BTW you need to run ldconfig asfter install).

  3. Best of all make/get/rebuild openssl as an RPM.  There is a
     current one, with SRPM too at
	http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/openssl-0.9.5-1.i38
6.html

I have come to the conclusion that on a package managed system like RH,
any software that does not live in a user's own directories, should
always be built and installed as packages.  This allows you to be able
to link pretty much every file on the system with the package that
generated it, do upgrades neatly, and in general be able to control
your system rather than have it accumulate cruft over the years.

	Nigel.

[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]