openssh-2.3.0p1: problem with configure

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed Nov 22 01:09:28 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:46:27PM +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> I have two problems with configure in 2.3.0p1:
>
> zlib is installed in /usr/local on HP-UX 11.00, and configure fails to
> detect that.
>
> Worse, after "setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib" configure is happy, but
> during make the zlib include file is not found.
>
> "setenv CFLAGS -I/usr/local/include" fixes that, but I feel that
> configure could be that smart too.

That's a common limitation for automatic configuration.
/usr/local is not a part of the usual search process of the HP-UX compiler
and linker tools (I have gcc installed in /usr/local and it seems to
automatically search /usr/local).
Hence, configure fails to find packages located in /usr/local and you have
to explicitely specify this either using--with-c/ldflags or by doing
  CC=cc CFLAGS="-Ae +O3 +DAportable" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure
(The CFLAGS my be different for you, but I already have this in my $HOME/bin
for packages using autoconf :-)

Having this said, zlib tends to be in /opt/zlib-something when installed from
the HPUX Software and Porting Archive, so it probably makes not too much sense
to try and search for it too many places and have the user specify it :-)

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/