openssh and multiple ports

Kevin Steves stevesk at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 09:42:34 EST 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Marc Boucher wrote:
:it's an unnecessary kludge. The user shouldn't have to deal with this.
:Openssh should do the right thing and differentiate host keys with port
:numbers along names and addresses.

i think most will agree, however no one has written the code to support
this. it will happen at some point.

:> > > Also, how about supporting the "ssh user at host#port" number syntax, instead
:> > > of requiring the -p option?
:> >
:> > I'd suggest user at host:port to be more in line with established
:> > conventions, unless the colon is already being used for something
:> > else...
:
:I think '#' is better, since it maintains compatibility with the other
:implementation, and besides, the ':' character is already used in IPv6
:addresses.

i don't see a good reason to add another way to specify port on the
ssh command line.