openssh and multiple ports

Marc Boucher marc at mbsi.ca
Wed Sep 5 10:33:31 EST 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 04:42:34PM -0700, Kevin Steves wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Marc Boucher wrote:
> :it's an unnecessary kludge. The user shouldn't have to deal with this.
> :Openssh should do the right thing and differentiate host keys with port
> :numbers along names and addresses.
>
> i think most will agree, however no one has written the code to support
> this. it will happen at some point.

ok

> :> > > Also, how about supporting the "ssh user at host#port" number syntax, instead
> :> > > of requiring the -p option?
> :> >
> :> > I'd suggest user at host:port to be more in line with established
> :> > conventions, unless the colon is already being used for something
> :> > else...
> :
> :I think '#' is better, since it maintains compatibility with the other
> :implementation, and besides, the ':' character is already used in IPv6
> :addresses.
>
> i don't see a good reason to add another way to specify port on the
> ssh command line.

I think it's a matter of taste (I personally find it much more practical
and logical to do "scp marc at mbsi.ca#2:/tmp/file dest" than
"scp -P 2 marc at mbsi.ca:/tmp/file", which requires that you remember an
option letter that isn't even consistent between commands; as ssh uses
lowercase '-p') and compatibility with ssh.com's implementation,
which has supported this feature for a long time.

Marc