bug in scp (OpenSSH)

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Fri Sep 7 23:07:07 EST 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jason Stone wrote:

> > > If you as a sysadmin want your naive users to see the progress bar, you
> > > can alias scp to "scp -l" (or whatever the option would be) in the default
> > > shell prefs, just as many admins alias rm to "rm -i"
> > >

> > "If the person does not want to see it they can always alias scp to 'scp
> > -q'.."
>
> Yes, but rcp doesn't take a "-q", so if I have my scripts call $RCP -q and
> $RCP is set to rcp, it doesn't go.
>
> This is the first response that I've seen from one of the
> maintainers/developers on this matter, and it still doesn't address the
> issue - are you going to consider taking out the progress bar or at least
> making it default to off?  And if you aren't going to take it out, are you
> going to consider putting in any of the other good patches to scp that
> have been posted?

The only intention I have towards scp is when I have free cycles to submit
a patch to support basic sftp support so people will stop whining about
"why won't scp work when going to a SSH Corp's v2.x+ server?"

As for the other patches..

I would support the 'scp -o port user at site:/path -o port
user at site2:/path'  patch.  However, not all scp's are created equal and
this 'feature' will not work on the old SSH Corp 1.2.x scp due to lack of
-o concept.  Same goes true for older OpenSSH releases.

I would support scp patch to fix 3rd party password authentication on the
2nd host.  Even if I dispise the whole idea of how 3rd party scp is done.
(This has not been brought up yet.. but I will bring it up since it is
more valuable than most of the chatter on the topic.)

Changing the default to scp to quiet.. I may consider support, but I still
see no use for such a patch because one should be checking the $? not the
stdout.

Anything that changes the rcp protocol I won't touch.  That is just the
reality of the matter.

As I've said before.. Take my views with a grain of salt because they
don't always match with Markus or others in the group.

I will say this.. Arguing over stuff without a patch to the code will not
gain ground in your position.  So far I've seen more arguing then code.  If
you want something fixed or changed.. WRITE THE CODE AND SUBMIT IT.  At
least there will be a TECHNICAL reason for why things are declined.

And remember with things like scp you really need to sit down and do a
decent amount of cross compatibity testing.  We support a lot of
version of SSH and anyone of them could break with some of the
suggestions your fighting for.

- Ben