bug in scp (OpenSSH)

Wendy Palm wendyp at cray.com
Sat Sep 8 07:45:07 EST 2001

Dave Dykstra wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:07:07AM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> > Changing the default to scp to quiet.. I may consider support, but I still
> > see no use for such a patch because one should be checking the $? not the
> > stdout.
>
> I have scripts that do scp's behind the scenes, and having that extra
> output confuses users of the scripts.  I had installed ssh 1.2.XX before
> that option was added, and when it was added as a default option I was not
> pleased.  Fortunately, at least a configure option was added at the same
> time to disable it so I just changed my build scripts to do that.  Now I'm
> transitioning my users to openssh, and I am reluctant to keep too many
> private patches so I have been thinking I would subject them to this but
> I'd really rather not.

i agree and for the same reason.  my of our customer sites have scripts with
rcp/scp in them, and we're in the process of trying to get them to use
secure transfers in the first place, so adding extraneous output to the
default case is not my preference.

i'd prefer the default to be quiet & an option to enable it.

--
wendy palm
Cray OS Sustaining Engineering, Cray Inc.