bug in scp (OpenSSH)

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Sat Sep 8 07:09:23 EST 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:07:07AM -0500, mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org wrote:
> Changing the default to scp to quiet.. I may consider support, but I still
> see no use for such a patch because one should be checking the $? not the
> stdout.

I have scripts that do scp's behind the scenes, and having that extra
output confuses users of the scripts.  I had installed ssh 1.2.XX before
that option was added, and when it was added as a default option I was not
pleased.  Fortunately, at least a configure option was added at the same
time to disable it so I just changed my build scripts to do that.  Now I'm
transitioning my users to openssh, and I am reluctant to keep too many
private patches so I have been thinking I would subject them to this but
I'd really rather not.

> As I've said before.. Take my views with a grain of salt because they
> don't always match with Markus or others in the group.

I would like to see what Markus has to say about it, because this is in
his base code.  I don't know how compile-time options are set for
the base code though, since it doesn't use configure; as far as I
know there aren't any.

> I will say this.. Arguing over stuff without a patch to the code will not
> gain ground in your position.  So far I've seen more arguing then code.  If
> you want something fixed or changed.. WRITE THE CODE AND SUBMIT IT.  At
> least there will be a TECHNICAL reason for why things are declined.

I'd be happy to submit a patch if I thought it might be accepted.

- Dave Dykstra