MaxStartups Confusion

Mark Bradshaw bradshaw at staff.crosswalk.com
Sat Sep 22 07:50:22 EST 2001

I would like some clarification regarding the use of MaxStartups.  I have
always used the three colon separated value that enables the random drop
capabilities, but the documentation for sshd says that MaxStartups can also
take a single value which sets a max and leaves random drops off.

When I try this, sshd tells me that it got an illegal integer.  Looking at
the code, in servconf.c it looks like it'll only accept the three value
parameter type.  Am I reading the documentation incorrectly, has the
functionality been discontinued, or was there a coding mix-up there?

Mark