Logging authorized key info

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Fri Sep 28 02:27:23 EST 2001

The key name field from the authorized_keys entry (or, missing that, the
public key fingerprint) should be logged.

Also, whichever is logged should be set as the value of some environment
variable.

This is what I do in my named keys patch for OpenSSH w/ Simon Wilkinson's
GSS-API patch for OpenSSH.

It's quite useful, particularly for command= authorized_keys entries.

Nico

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 09:03:03AM -0700, Robert W. Schultz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to be able to log the key/fingerprint/comment field or even
> line number (pick one) from the authorized_keys file of the account
> connected to.  So I would get a syslog entry something like this...
>
> [ID 800047 auth.info] Accepted rsa <authorized_keys comment field> for
> ROOT from 127.0.0.1 port 34352
>
> instead of
>
> [ID 800047 auth.info] Accepted rsa for ROOT from 127.0.0.1 port 34352
>
> I know this has been discussed before, there is a patch to do this for
> version 1.something but I can't fathom how this moved into version
> 2.anything.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>
> Bob